Monday, December 12, 2011

Review - Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Hardcover: 563 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; 1 edition (December 1, 2009)
Rate: 2/5
Author Site: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316042676
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere. At least, that's what I thought. Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. There was a curse.There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Garcia and Stohl did a hor·rif·ic job on Beautiful Creatures I was blown away and not by all the storms raging in Gatlin County nor the Battle of Honey Hill either. I must say "when it rains it pours"...

To begin with the way the story was taking place I thought it was from a females prospective (Lena's)but turns out it was of Ethan's. Through out the story I didn't feel that Ethan was heroic the way they protrade him to be. I thought of him as just like any other teenage boy "whipped"...
For Lena well all she does through out the entire book is gloom over if she's going to turn dark on her 16 th birthday like her cousin Ridley had. Well maybe the book a be more interesting if she had...
Ridley maybe dark but I think I like her the best. She didn't sit around mopping,whining nor complains about every little thing. She uses her powers to her advantage and then some....

If it wasn't bad enough, what really gripped my azz about this book was the fact that Garcia and Stohl had the nerve,to use a scene from the movie Carrie. Well not exactly word for word but that's the vibes I was feeling when Ethan took Lena to the prom and ha ties broke loose... I couldn't believe that they actually thought that part would sit well with the readers....I just thought that was a cheap rip off if you ask me...

If Beautiful Darkness is anything like this one, I must say I do not care to read it. An to think this book had such raving reviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment